Monday, March 26, 2012

Geenral convention for naming the reports

Is there a good convention for naming the reports?Our clients like to see
friend names for the reports like Fiscal yeay summary,...... and we'd like
to use names like rptFiscalYearSum,......Is there some one who can give me
some suggestions on this.
ThanksI tried to do that too, but the (rdl) file name is also what shows up
in Report Manager, so a friendly name might be better.
The only problem is that they get really long :)
If I had to do it all over again, I would create many folders, and make
the names very specific, but leave out the generalities since the
folder name will tell them what they are looking at.|||Also if you keep the name "friendly" you can use it in the report
header automatically, i.e. Globals!ReportName, then if you make a
linked report to it say for a foreign office, you can give it a name in
their language and the report heading will reflect that accordingly -
this to me is the main reason I use friendly names.
But I try to make them concise as possible by use of folders, so "Sales
Trends (Margin by Teams)" just becomes "Margin by Teams" because it's
in the "Sales Trends" folder.
I hope that makes sense.
Chris
John wrote:
> I tried to do that too, but the (rdl) file name is also what shows up
> in Report Manager, so a friendly name might be better.
> The only problem is that they get really long :)
> If I had to do it all over again, I would create many folders, and
> make the names very specific, but leave out the generalities since the
> folder name will tell them what they are looking at.|||We also use and recommend using friendly names, and use the name as the rpt
header
--
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
www.mariner-usa.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"J-T" <J-T@.microsft.com> wrote in message
news:uoqEWBdcFHA.3404@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is there a good convention for naming the reports?Our clients like to see
> friend names for the reports like Fiscal yeay summary,...... and we'd
> like to use names like rptFiscalYearSum,......Is there some one who can
> give me some suggestions on this.
> Thanks
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment