Thursday, March 29, 2012

General Network Error / SQL Server does not exist

Hi world,
I get the General Network Error (and sometimes the SqlServer does not
exist).
I used to get this issue for the past few months. What I used to do is
restart SQL Server (from the system tray) one or two times and it used
to continue working. I never cared.
Now one of our customers is complaining the same issue! :-)
Googling about i heard people offering "setting named pipes as the
default". I went to the Sql Server Client Network Utility program and
couldn't find any such option in the "DB-Library Options" tab to change
this default setting.
Or is the above solution for some other problem.
Thanks a lot..
Regards,
MichelleHave you tried setting up an alias to your sql server using tcp/ip?
Please post your os/sql environment as well as your clients
nivek
<mich_stone@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1109590304.342547.188290@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi world,
> I get the General Network Error (and sometimes the SqlServer does not
> exist).
> I used to get this issue for the past few months. What I used to do is
> restart SQL Server (from the system tray) one or two times and it used
> to continue working. I never cared.
> Now one of our customers is complaining the same issue! :-)
> Googling about i heard people offering "setting named pipes as the
> default". I went to the Sql Server Client Network Utility program and
> couldn't find any such option in the "DB-Library Options" tab to change
> this default setting.
> Or is the above solution for some other problem.
> Thanks a lot..
> Regards,
> Michelle
>|||Thanks for the reply. Here is some more info on my problem
OS : Windows XP
Application: On ASP.NET
Sql Server: Developer Edition (also tried with MSDE)
The application always looks at "localhost"
I have "NAMED PIPES" and "TCPIP" in the GENERAL tab selected in the
network client utility. Clicking Properties on NAMED PIPES gives
"Network Protocal Default Value Setup = sql\query". Clicking properties
on TCPIP gives "1433".
I have two aliases defined to two OTHER servers on the internet. I am
just mentioning that for completeness, as those two servers have got
nothing to do with the one having the problem.
DB Library Options File Name = "c:\windows\system32\ntwdlib.dll"
Hope this is enough information for someone to help me out.
Thanks and regards
Michelle
nivek wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> Have you tried setting up an alias to your sql server using tcp/ip?
> Please post your os/sql environment as well as your clients
> nivek
> <mich_stone@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1109590304.342547.188290@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
not[vbcol=seagreen]
is[vbcol=seagreen]
used[vbcol=seagreen]
and[vbcol=seagreen]
change[vbcol=seagreen]

No comments:

Post a Comment