Friday, February 24, 2012

Full-Text Search Not Finding Suffix

Hello,
This is my first post to MS tech net. I started using SQL Server 2005 and
Visual Studio 2005 YESTERDAY so I am very new to this.
I am implementing a site search and want to use Full-Text search. I have a
small test table with a few columns (all enabled for FTS and I have populated
the catalog).
The problem is when I type in 'word' I do not get 'words' back from the
database, only 'word'. If I type in 'computer' I only get 'computer' and not
'computers' and 'computerized'. If I type in 'computer computers' then I get
both.
I was under the impression that FTS supports prefix searches and even verb
and noun variations. Please someone help me figure out the problem.
I am using: SQL Server 2005, Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio 2005.
My Query:
strSearch = "SELECT icgMenuSectionName FROM icgMenu WHERE FREETEXT(
icgMenuSectionName, @.searchphrase)";
Thank You!
Karina
The problem is probably that you are either using the neutral word breaker,
or you are inadvertently wrapping your search phrase in double quotes which
disables the stemming - stemming is the function which allows you to search
on all generations or a word, i.e. plural, singular, declensions, or
conjugations of a word.
Hilary Cotter
Director of Text Mining and Database Strategy
RelevantNOISE.Com - Dedicated to mining blogs for business intelligence.
This posting is my own and doesn't necessarily represent RelevantNoise's
positions, strategies or opinions.
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Karina" <Karina@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A25E30E6-0673-4278-B3F4-BEDBB056F7C6@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> This is my first post to MS tech net. I started using SQL Server 2005 and
> Visual Studio 2005 YESTERDAY so I am very new to this.
> I am implementing a site search and want to use Full-Text search. I have
> a
> small test table with a few columns (all enabled for FTS and I have
> populated
> the catalog).
> The problem is when I type in 'word' I do not get 'words' back from the
> database, only 'word'. If I type in 'computer' I only get 'computer' and
> not
> 'computers' and 'computerized'. If I type in 'computer computers' then I
> get
> both.
> I was under the impression that FTS supports prefix searches and even verb
> and noun variations. Please someone help me figure out the problem.
> I am using: SQL Server 2005, Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio 2005.
> My Query:
> strSearch = "SELECT icgMenuSectionName FROM icgMenu WHERE FREETEXT(
> icgMenuSectionName, @.searchphrase)";
> Thank You!
> Karina
>
>
>
|||Hilary, thank you for the response. I've read almost every posting you had
in these groups
I did had Neutral set (I set it to English). I don't have double quotes in
the query (I don't think).
This is what I have:
void Button_Click( object s, EventArgs e ) {
SqlConnection conPubs;
string strSearch;
SqlCommand cmdSearch;
SqlDataReader dtrSearch;
conPubs = new
SqlConnection(@."Server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=stuff; Database=icg" );
strSearch = "SELECT icgMenuSectionName FROM icgMenu WHERE contains(
icgMenuSectionName, @.searchphrase )";
cmdSearch = new SqlCommand( strSearch, conPubs );
cmdSearch.Parameters.Add("@.searchphrase", txtSearchPhrase.Text);
Response.Write(strSearch);
conPubs.Open();
dtrSearch = cmdSearch.ExecuteReader();
while ( dtrSearch.Read())
{
lblResults.Text += "<li>" + dtrSearch[ "icgMenuSectionName" ];
}
conPubs.Close();
}
I've read every post in this newsgroup and tried everything. Any help is
greatly appreciated, I've been at this since Monday night.
Thanks again!
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> The problem is probably that you are either using the neutral word breaker,
> or you are inadvertently wrapping your search phrase in double quotes which
> disables the stemming - stemming is the function which allows you to search
> on all generations or a word, i.e. plural, singular, declensions, or
> conjugations of a word.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Director of Text Mining and Database Strategy
> RelevantNOISE.Com - Dedicated to mining blogs for business intelligence.
> This posting is my own and doesn't necessarily represent RelevantNoise's
> positions, strategies or opinions.
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
>
> "Karina" <Karina@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A25E30E6-0673-4278-B3F4-BEDBB056F7C6@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Hello,
I'm still searching for help with this issue. It appears that my query
appends double quotes so that it disables the suffix search in FTS service.
How do I make it NOT have the double quotes. When I try to get rid of them,
VS2005 complains, I tried all combinations of quotes with no success. Please
help, I've been stumped all week.
My code:
void Button_Click( object s, EventArgs e ) {
> SqlConnection conPubs;
> string strSearch;
> SqlCommand cmdSearch;
> SqlDataReader dtrSearch;
> conPubs = new
> SqlConnection(@."Server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=stuff; Database=icg" );
> strSearch = "SELECT icgMenuSectionName FROM icgMenu WHERE contains(
> icgMenuSectionName, @.searchphrase )";
> cmdSearch = new SqlCommand( strSearch, conPubs );
> cmdSearch.Parameters.Add("@.searchphrase", txtSearchPhrase.Text);
> Response.Write(strSearch);
> conPubs.Open();
> dtrSearch = cmdSearch.ExecuteReader();
>
> while ( dtrSearch.Read())
> {
> lblResults.Text += "<li>" + dtrSearch[ "icgMenuSectionName" ];
> }
>
> conPubs.Close();
> }
"Karina" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hilary, thank you for the response. I've read almost every posting you had
> in these groups
> I did had Neutral set (I set it to English). I don't have double quotes in
> the query (I don't think).
> This is what I have:
>
> I've read every post in this newsgroup and tried everything. Any help is
> greatly appreciated, I've been at this since Monday night.
> Thanks again!
> "Hilary Cotter" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment