Sunday, February 26, 2012

Full-text search: Stemming

In a column that I'm searching for, I have 'rod' and 'rods' for fishing gear.
I'm using WHERE CONTAINS ( p.*, 'FORMSOF(INFLECTIONAL, 'rod')')
It only returns rows with 'rod'. I'm expecting rows with 'rod' and 'rods'.
What am I missing?I would think what you have should work...but try
contains(p.*, 'Formsof(Inflectional, rod)' ) -- note the keyword is not
quoted
or
contains (p.*, "rod*")
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
www.mariner-usa.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"MGBloomfield" <MGBloomfield@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:24EC5637-8762-4A4C-9354-A7C5BE414864@.microsoft.com...
> In a column that I'm searching for, I have 'rod' and 'rods' for fishing
gear.
> I'm using WHERE CONTAINS ( p.*, 'FORMSOF(INFLECTIONAL, 'rod')')
> It only returns rows with 'rod'. I'm expecting rows with 'rod' and 'rods'.
> What am I missing?
>|||Good suggestion. I tried that, too.
Same result, only rows with 'rod'.
If I query using LIKE '%rod%', then I get 20 rows so that's what I'm
expecting with full-text indexing.
What else should I be doing? Is stemming supposed to "turned on" or
something? The full-text language for all the columns is English.
"Wayne Snyder" wrote:
> I would think what you have should work...but try
> contains(p.*, 'Formsof(Inflectional, rod)' ) -- note the keyword is not
> quoted
> or
> contains (p.*, "rod*")
>
> --
> Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> Mariner, Charlotte, NC
> www.mariner-usa.com
> (Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
> I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
> community of SQL Server professionals.
> www.sqlpass.org
> "MGBloomfield" <MGBloomfield@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:24EC5637-8762-4A4C-9354-A7C5BE414864@.microsoft.com...
> > In a column that I'm searching for, I have 'rod' and 'rods' for fishing
> gear.
> >
> > I'm using WHERE CONTAINS ( p.*, 'FORMSOF(INFLECTIONAL, 'rod')')
> >
> > It only returns rows with 'rod'. I'm expecting rows with 'rod' and 'rods'.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment